Community

"They devoted themselves to the apostles teaching, to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to the prayers... And all who believed were together and had all things in common."
Acts 2:42-47

The Austin Stone Community Church uses a training program they call "Goer Missional Communities" (GMC).
GMC is a 9 month training program for those who have the desire to make disciples among the unreached people groups (people groups that have no indigenous, self-propagating church movement) around the world. Last spring I signed up for this program with the hopes of going back to Honduras in August (2016).
The process began this past August when I moved into a new apartment with three girls I had only met once, just one month before.
My GMC group consists of my new roommates and four more girls living in the building right behind us.
I will admit, in the beginning I was a bit skeptical. Living in a community like this seemed somewhat "cult-ish"... I really had no idea what I was getting myself into.
All of a sudden I found myself immersed in a new culture and lifestyle so life giving I can't imagine living any other way.
These girls have quickly become sisters that I adore and trust with my whole heart. The words in Acts chapter 2 have come to life as we have laughed, cried, learned, shared, loved, served, and grown, together. I find myself wondering how I lived so long without a community like the one Paul writes about in Acts. People to be devoted to Jesus with... To break bread with... To pray with... To have all things in common... To have the opportunity to give and cover each other's needs.
This season of training and learning has been so incredibly joyful because of this community. Together we strive to praise God and bring Him glory, and by this we have had favor with His people and pray that the Lord would add to our number daily those being saved.

I pray you find people to commune with daily to spur you on to the glorifying of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Here are some candids of my lovely group:


All the girlies! Our first GMC retreat this past September

GMC roadtrip to Marshall, TX for the National Launch Conference



Roadtrip potty break... the fun never ends

National Launch Conference this past October, where we learned to "Be Barnabas"... great time of learning and growing!
Out walking with our Thai friend Ploy




Thanks for reading, may the Grace and Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ cover you today!

Comments

Popular Posts